Director of R and D
Company: Wilbur Curtis Co.
Posted on: May 24, 2023
Our passion for coffee makes SEB Professional North America a
growing company!We are in the professional coffee machine business
managing three leading global brands: Schaerer, WMF, and Wilbur
Curtis.You can find our coffee machines in convenience stores,
hotels, and restaurants worldwide. Chances are you have enjoyed a
cup of coffee brewed by one of our products during your morning
coffee run at McDonald's, Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks, or Tim
Hortons.SEB Professional is a subsidiary of Groupe SEB, a large
French consortium and the world's largest manufacturer of cookware
in more than 150 countries, with 33,00 employees and over ---8,1 b
in sales annually. Notable brand names associated are Tefal, T-Fal,
Krups, Lagostina, Rowenta, Moulinex, SUPOR, Arno, Emsa, All-Clad.
Our Company operates in the Professional Coffee Machine
division.The Head of Development will bring focus to innovation,
new product development, and sustaining engineering initiatives to
improve the Quality, Delivery, Cost, and competitive position of
the product portfolio. Lead, manage, and direct the quality
development activities to support our existing domestic and new
business opportunities in international markets. This will include
development and evaluation of new product lines in closer
collaboration with operations, manufacturing, quality and marketing
on initiatives while managing daily tasks to ensure deadlines and
objectives are met.Salary Range: $130,000-160,000Essential
- Ensures and consolidates that the growth of the technical
"know-how" within the working group is shared and constantly
- Leads development projects and responsible for product
- Incorporates relevant design expertise and experience in
projects in line with brand/product/innovation strategy.
- Encourages creativity in the design and development teams.
- Actively searches for best-in-class technologies among
competitors and develops an innovation roadmap.
- Cooperates closely with product managers to assure customer
focus and target costing; co-develops product roadmaps.
- Coordinates with Groupe product development managers defining
the right allocation of resources.
- Supports projects at the Groupe level, participating in
meetings and sharing technical information and
- Cooperates with design committee to ensure brand-consistency of
- Secures freedom to operate and initiates IP protection with the
support of a group of IP specialists.
- Develops employees assigned to the department, ensuring the
correct application of tools and policies on training, identifies
career path, performs evaluations, and provides inputs to
- Leads a cross functional team and manages all aspects of
innovation, new product development process, and sustaining
engineering to deliver on-time and to budget new and updated
products with exceptional quality which exceed the expectation of
the customer and shareholder.
- Provide leadership and project management to prioritize
workload and drive ownership at the design level.
- Quality & Customer Focus: Continuously looking for ways to
simplify and improve work processes to achieve better results,
considering internal and external customer needs when setting
- Manages others with a high level of integrity, confidentiality,
ethics, and discretion. Is direct and open while maintaining a
professional, respectful demeaner. Builds and sustains
relationships with all stakeholders.
- Staffs and manages engineering capacity and capability of a
highly effective technical team that delivers the required business
results on time, in coordination with Chief Operating
Officer.Experience and education
- A University degree in engineering or equivalent is
- A Master's degree and or any other further qualification
related to DESIGN AND DEVELOPMENT is appreciated.
- A minimum of 4 years' experience in Design and Development
managerial roles preferably with direct reports
- A passion for coffee strongly preferred.
- Knowledge: A strong knowledge of Design and Development
processes and organization in B2B / durable goods companies is
- Extensive knowledge of technical applications and manufacturing
implication, methods and requirements are desired.
- Languages: Fluency in written and verbal English is a must,
Spanish and German are pluses.
- Learning & Adapting: Demonstrated a willingness to take on new
challenges, responsibilities, and assignments. Taking the
initiative as problems or opportunities arise; being action
oriented, willing to take risks.
- Communications: Communicates clearly and candidly; avoiding
vagueness, ambiguity, and mixed messages. Contributing to an
enthusiastic, positive work climate; energizing others.
- Managing Work: Manages work to achieve results on time.
Understands and supports the organization's vision, purpose, and
strategies. Understands our products and services. In coordination
with the cross-functional colleagues, establishes work priorities
and schedules for completing assignments. Must take accountability
for decisions, actions, and results of work activities and perform
responsibilities with minimal supervision and general
- Technical Skills & Qualification
- System Engineering: Ability to read a PRD and develop a System
Concept and Definition (HW & SW Architecture).
- Familiar with mechanical Hardware domain: able to define a
mechanical product architecture and design concept, familiar with
basic hydraulic systems; able to drive make or buy decisions based
on own manufacturing capabilities and economical judgement.
- Knowledge in electrical Hardware domain: able to read a
schematics, knowledge on electrical sensors and actors; able to
define a product electrical HW architecture and requirement spec to
external engineering service providers/suppliers.
- Knowledge in Embedded SW domain- mastering firmware platform
concepts incl. product and customer specific parametrization, able
to define a functional software requirements spec to external
engineering service providers/suppliers.
- Knowledge in PC base SW: Client/Server, frameworks, Processes,
- Familiar with international regulatory standard systems, able
to determine the relevant electrical safety, EMC, food safety and
other regulatory standards
- QA domain: Quality Management System, Roles and Responsibility,
tools, processes; reliability management.Working conditions /
- Standing, walking, and sitting.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer,
- Ability to lift up to 50lbs occasionally.
- Working with teams on the floor in both the plant, distribution
centers or administrative offices.Overview
- Type of employment: Full time - Exempt
- Health insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- 12 Paid Holidays
- Other voluntary benefits and discounts programSEB Professional
is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will
receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national
origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated
against on the basis of disability. For more information, please
see -OFCCP Equal Employment.
Keywords: Wilbur Curtis Co., Montebello , Director of R and D, Executive , Montebello, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...